The Android operating system developed by Google is based on the ‘Linux kernel’, an open source software. The Android Inc company was acquired by Google in 2005 and in just two years the Android OS was launched, in 2007. It should be noted that among the devices that use this system, there are many hidden functions or some that have been essentially forgotten. Users starting in the Android universe can take advantage of these to find out new shortcuts and tricks to get the most out of their device.
Return to the previous application
One of the dilemmas that usually affects many users is having to return to the home screen to enter the previously used app. Faced with this problem, Android has a key combination to automatically return to that app. The user must only double-click on the ‘Recent’ key, so the device returns to the previously used app.
Access the camera quickly
Sometimes we face times when the speed to access our camera can determine the finish of our picture. The normal thing among the Android society is to unlock the device and manually access the camera, but there is a faster and more efficient way, double-clicking on the power button. To this option, the user must go to the settings. After this step you have to go to the option of ‘Gestures’ and select the preference of ‘Quick access to the Camera’.
Zoom-in any screen
One of the most forgotten functions is usually the possibility of zooming on any screen of our device. This feature must be activated by the users from the settings, specifically in the ‘Accessibility’ section, with the ‘ Magnification’ preference. After this first step, the user will only have to make a touch with three fingers on any screen to activate the ‘ Magnify with triple-tap’.
There are times when our device is completely blocked, and we cannot turn it off as usual. Given this situation, it is good to know that we can perform a hard shutdown of the device through a key combination. It should be noted that to restart the device, the user must press the power and volume down buttons at the same time for a few seconds.
Watch the mobile on television
This feature is possible thanks to other devices, such as the well-known ‘Chromecast’, ‘Google home’ or Miracast-certified devices. When requiring the projection of some material on a screen, the user must only access the quick settings, to press ‘Send’ and choose the device on which to project that information. It should be noted that some TVs will require confirmation using the remote control. In addition, it is advisable to take advantage of the landscape option to view the content with better proportions.
On many occasions, we have found ourselves having to keep two windows or apps open at the same time but, only a few know how to activate this option. The only requirement is that one of the two applications must remain open to use the multi-window mode. In addition, the steps to follow to use this function are very simple.
- First, you must open one of the two apps that you want to have in a multi-window mode.
- The next step will be to press or perform the necessary gesture to see the apps that you have open on the device.
- Once inside this menu of active apps, you must press and hold the window of the app you want to keep in a multi-window.
- After a few seconds a drop-down menu will appear with the option of ‘Split screen’.
- Finally, the app of the first step will remain at the top of the screen, while the last one selected will be at the bottom.
Check battery percentage
Current consumers of technology are constantly aware of the battery percentage of devices, gestures that have almost become a real obsession. We can have two cases, people who cannot leave home if their device does not have 100% autonomy, and others who are always charging it.
Luckily, there are options that allow the user to know exactly the specific percentage of battery remaining in the device. In addition, the activation of this setting turns out to be very simple. As a first step, the user must access the device settings, where you will have to look for the ‘Battery’ option. Finally, you must check or activate the box that allows you to always show the percentage on the screen.
Change font size
There are certain times when our eyes ask for a break and even when it needs us to provide facilities for our health. On the other hand, it must be considered that there are users who already have vision problems, so having an option to increase font size is a great advantage. It should be noted that thanks to this function you can increase the size of the letters that appear on our device.
- As a first step to follow, the user must access the settings of their Android device.
- Once in this section, you must select the ‘Screen’ option.
- After this, the user will have to click on the ‘Advanced’ preference.
Finally, the only step that remains will be to select the option ‘Font size’ and choose the size you prefer
Use of internal search engines
Feature of Android OS, version One, the user can look for it in apps or even in the device settings. Specifically, this function facilitates the search for terms by writing them directly in the search engine offered at the top. Above all, it stands out in the settings menu, since it saves user navigation in the attempt to find a specific preference.
Light or Dark Theme?
Regarding design and aesthetics, it is not bad to be aware that Android can alternate between a light and dark theme. Normally the device automatically accommodates the theme according to the wallpaper determined by the user. This usually applies to the device interface and the notification bar, in addition, this action can also be done manually.
- As a first step, the user must enter the settings menu.
- Once there, you will have to click on the ‘Screen’ option and enter the ‘Advanced’ preferences.
- Finally, you must go to ‘Device theme’ and choose between the two possible themes, light or dark.
Smart battery saver
The intelligent battery system that Android OS incorporates turns out to be a good ally for battery saving. This specifically analyzes our usage patterns to the last detail and optimizes these to produce greater savings in autonomy. In addition, in the case of not having this function activated by default, it is necessary to know where and how it can be accessed.
- The user must access the device settings as usual.
- Among all the options available in these, you should look for the one known as ‘Battery’.
- Finally, we only must activate the ‘Smart battery’ preference, and our device will automatically be in charge of analyzing our usage patterns.
Create automatic backups
At certain specific times, it is advisable to make backups of our device data. If we do not want to create these manually, there is a function that allows us to activate the automatic backups. It should be noted that the steps to follow to configure our device with this preference are very simple.
- The first of the steps will be to access the settings.
- As a second step, the user must go to the ‘System’ option, then access ‘Backup’.
- Once in this preference, you can activate it and choose the account where to make the backup copies.
- Finally, once these steps have been completed, it will only be necessary to configure what data you want to be included in the backup.